Resources – Eat Together As A Family
Eat Together As A Family
Below you will find information on why we should eat together as a family and cook with our children.
Why Should We Eat Together As A Family?
- Improved minds: dinner table conversations teach children more vocabulary than when they are simply being read to.
- Sitting down together for a meal nurtures family relationships and provides a time in the day for everyone to stop and focus on each other.
- The family table is also a natural space to foster good listening skills that serve kids well beyond childhood.
- Parents can be role models of healthy eating for their kids, and family meals promote a sense of belonging.
Why Should We Cook With Our Children?
- Kids are more likely to try new healthy foods that they’ve never tried before if they’ve had a hand in preparing them.
- Helping cook a meal gives kids a sense of purpose in their home space, making them less likely to abuse drugs and alcohol as teenagers.
- Cooking together encourages children to take ownership over their eating. It provides them with that wonderful sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that comes with preparing their own meal.
- Cooking together means spending quality time together doing something productive, and means teaching kids a skill that will serve them throughout their lives.